Monday, May 16, 2005

Birthdays Are NOT About Age - A Birthday Philosophy

I've never really celebrated my birthday as an adult with the exception of when I was in college. I never really thought it was a big deal.

I never celebrated my husband's birthday either really, or the birthdays of my friends & family.

I basically took care of everything and everyone at Christmas figuring in part that birthdays were kind of a vanity trip and I didn't have time for so many celebrations.

Then one year I forgot the birthday of a friend and couldn't believe how offended she was. When I spoke to her about it she explained to me how special birthdays were for her and between friends and I realized something very important that changed the way I now view birthdays forever.

I recalled the birth of my 2 sons and my thoughts while lying in the hospital looking at them thinking to myself "this is a BIRTH day".

The combination of those 2 events cause me to realize why birthdays really are SPECIAL.

Birthdays are special because your birthday is the day that you, your family and your friends celebrate the fact that you are here.

Birthdays are a celebration of your arrival to this life.

They are a time to say, "thanks for being here" to people that you care about. And when it's your birthday, it's the time for your peeps to thank YOU for being here.

So the next time it's your birthday, CELEBRATE! Be thankful that you are here and celebrate the fact that you ARE here.

Happy birthday!

No comments: